England, Cumbria, Cumberland, Harrow Scar, Hadrian's Wall
Credits
TJR?
Resource ID

Uploaded images

Comments Add your comment

carpet boarshill,

7 months ago

Yes but the location map is a bit far west. I would try OS Grid Ref: NY 62046 66397 on west bank of the River Irthing. Could this be the remains of Milecastle 49?

carpet HEIRteam,

7 months ago

Thanks for the information; this is milecastle 49. We have moved the pointer on the map to the correct location.

carpet boarshill,

7 months ago

So who might TJR have been? There is this : "Items in the Historic England Archive at Swindon relating to Harrows Scar and Hadrian’s Wall east of Birdoswald fort include: photographs of the Wall and Milecastle 49 taken in August 1929 by Father T Romans (AA71)" (http://tinyurl.com/n5g682j). Historic England has three photographs close to this point, all dated 16 August 1929. (see http://tinyurl.com/k573l7g).

carpet HEIRteam,

7 months ago

TJR, or Father T Romans, worked on the archaeology of Roman Britain from the 1920s to the mid-1940s. His images in our collection are probably related to his work with Ian A Richmond, with whom he published a 1944 book on a Roman bathhouse found in Durham. We agree the images you found in the Historic England database are by the same photographer.

carpet boarshill,

6 months ago

Excellent. Last week (I must confess) I had never heard of Rev Thomas Romans - and the surname "Romans" did not help when searching! Now I have details of his collections (held at Durham Univ Library and Durham Cathedral), the outline of his life story from Cambridge, and a copy of the 1944 account of the Old Durham investigations from Archeologia Aeliana. Durham Library tells us that the Romans collection contains about 2500 lantern slides and 1800 negatives, and comments that "Romans published little, but he was an accomplished photographer, and it has been said that his way of describing was to photograph." Perhaps we have the makings of a new HEIR project here?

carpet HEIRteam,

6 months ago

We've found a total of 42 images that we can attribute to Rev Romans in the HEIR collection and it's possible that more are in hiding uncredited, and we wouldn't have known this without your help, so thank you very much. Glad you were able to learn so much about him.

Add your comment

Do you know anything more about this picture and what’s in it? Do you have questions or comments about it? We’d also love your feedback on your tagging travels. Join the conversation here ...

Login / Register