HMC: England: Durham: "Durham Cathedral. Interior" "3"
Credits
D. Noakes and Son, Lantern and Slide Makers, Greenwich, London
Resource ID

Uploaded images

Comments Add your comment

carpet boarshill,

2 yearss ago

Durham Galilee chapel also contains the tomb of the Venerable Bede, not visible (I think) in this photo.

carpet HEIRteam,

2 yearss ago

We can't see the tomb either - the photo just misses it. The white stonework here must be guesswork by whoever colourised the image...

carpet boarshill,

2 yearss ago

More on the diamond shape ornament I tagged: "The large diamond-shaped objects on the walls (eighteenth-century hatchments-boards showing family heraldry) hung in the chapel for some years between 1843 and 1900. They were removed to the triforium in the early 1980s and are now displayed in the Monks' Dormitory and Prior's Hall, with one more in the Treasury. " Michael Richardson, 'Durham Cathedral City from Old Photographs' 2013, no page number. Will try to get new photo when I visit in October.

carpet HEIRteam,

2 yearss ago

Ah, we wondered when the hatchment boards came down. We look forward to seeing your upload of this rephotographed image when you go to Durham. Hope the weather is clement!

carpet boarshill,

2 yearss ago

Understandably perhaps, Durham now forbids photography inside the Cathedral - so no rephoto for the time being!

carpet boarshill,

11 months ago

See also HEIR 41609 for another image of the Galilee Chapel.

carpet HEIRteam,

11 months ago

Thanks for your comment. We have linked these two images in the HEIR database so looking at one also provides a thumbnail of the other.

carpet boarshill,

1 month ago

New image finally on the way in email. Taken during the Durham Miners' Gala "Procession of Banners" and Festival Service on 8 July 2017. The Cathedral's "no photography" rule was totally ignored by all!

carpet HEIRteam,

1 month ago

Thank you once more for the new view of the chapel that has been added to the HEIR database. It's especially nice to know how you managed to circumvent the "no photographs" rule on our behalf.

Add your comment

Do you know anything more about this picture and what’s in it? Do you have questions or comments about it? We’d also love your feedback on your tagging travels. Join the conversation here ...

Login / Register