England, East Sussex, Brighton, Kemp Town Parade
Credits
Unknown
Resource ID

Uploaded images

Comments Add your comment

carpet EastMarple1,

1 years ago

Hunch - believe this to be a pure fanciful image of Kemp Town as the architecture there is nothing like this. Instead it is Regency in style with many bow fronted buildings

carpet HEIRteam,

1 years ago

We agree that the label may be incorrect, as the buildings look more like those now found along Oriental Place, well west of Kemp Town. However, as this is an old hand coloured image, it is possible that these buildings were destroyed in World War 2 - see the bomb damage map at http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/yesterdays/brightonandhoveatwar/bombmap/.

carpet boarshill,

10 months ago

(1) The buildings are all on a level, so I would say we are (supposed to be) looking along the seafront . When the roads run inland from the seafront the ground rises and roof line usually rises fairly quickly. (2) The Regency Society has a massive Photographic Archive (The James Gray Collection) of Brighton and area, with many seafront photos from all periods. I can't find a match for the architectural pattern we see here. (3) Bombing or redevelopment are of course possible, but few of the impacts on the bombing map are along the seafront line. Developers, of course, are far more deadly. (4) I am inclined to agree with EastMarple1 here and suspect this picture -- with its attractively painted clouds -- is an "artist's impression".

carpet HEIRteam,

9 months ago

Sorry for the delay due to our holidays. It's typical for the sky to be a bit of painted fantasy on hand-coloured lantern slides. However, the rest of the image appears photographic, right down to the blurred face of the gardener who moved whilst the picture was being taken. I just sent it to the Regency Society to see if they have any information. Will let you know more if they reply.

carpet HEIRteam,

9 months ago

We've heard back from the Regency Society, and it appears that Boarshill and EastMarple1 are correct, in that this is not a picture from Brighton. They believe this to show buildings designed by John Nash, possibly near Regent's Park in London, but we have yet to find a matching picture.

carpet HEIRteam,

9 months ago

Another Brighton local historian has suggested that the picture shows Arundel Terrace in the Kemp Town area, although the buildings in our view have undergone significant unsympathetic renovation since the picture was taken. Watch this space, as we have just written to the Kemp Town Society to see if they wish to comment on the picture.

carpet boarshill,

7 months ago

I would be interested to know if the Kemp Town Society has been able to offer any help with this image. The architectural pattern - six columns close to the camera, with four columns under a pediment further back, and then four more columns beyond that - is quite distinctive. It should not be too hard to match from old photos, even if it no longer exists.

carpet HEIRteam,

7 months ago

The final consensus from the Kemp Town Society was that the picture most likely is a view of Arundel Terrace, though possibly not an actual view, but one that includes some completed and proposed structures that were never built.

Add your comment

Do you know anything more about this picture and what’s in it? Do you have questions or comments about it? We’d also love your feedback on your tagging travels. Join the conversation here ...

Login / Register